One Emotion

Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Another space: One Emotion, check it out.

October 15, 2007

The ego is nothing other than the focus of conscious attention.
~ Alan Watts
was a philosopher, writer, speaker, and expert in comparative religion.
He was best known as an interpreter and popularizer
of Asian philosophies for a Western audience.






Cogito, ergo sum
(Latin: "I think, therefore I am")
~ René Descartes.
is a translation of Descartes' original French statement:"Je pense, donc je suis",
which occurs in his Discourse on Method (1637) and which became a
foundational element of Western philosophy.






I think Descartes thought too much.
I think I think too much.


2 comments:

ella said...

we're in post modernism, post war period, and ur still thinking of descartian's philosophies of man center of the universe and egocentricity? it's either ur not seeing or ur not seeing

Stigma said...

I'm not that knowledgeable about Descartes' philosophy and don't agree much about most of his conclusions (outdated we can say).
I don't think he was that egocentric and a promoter of "man center of the universe" ideas though.

Either way, i was just using the "I think therefore I am" in comparison with the first alan watts quote to highlight the identification with thoughts.
But, what am I not seeing exactly?